Walk behind string trimmers are a cross between a lawn mower and a string trimmer. The great thing about them is that they are much easier to get a clean and uniform look to your lawn. It is a powerful tool that works to remove heavy and stubborn weeds and grass. A hand held unit is usually not as powerful and can be difficult to use. Heavy duty string trimmers can wear your arms out fast, even if they get the work done. When you are unable to handle a rugged terrain with your regular push mower or ride on, a walk behind string trimmer will do the trick.
More consumers today are looking for walk behind string trimmers because of their versatility and ease of use. A walk behind trimmer is like a push weed eater or a weed wacker on wheels. It is a perfect tool for when shrubs and weeds are too thick for a hand held unit. These wheeled string trimmers can help cut through tall grass with ease, while making trimming and edging a breeze.
Many consumers today do not even know these types of lawn equipment exist. Even some professional landscapers have yet to figure out how useful and versatile these units can be. Simply mow the law as usual and then use the string trimmer to cut through those areas that are hard for the lawn mower to reach.
These weed eaters on wheels are changing the way people care for their lawns. However, there are many options to choose from and it is not always easy to identify the perfect one that fits your budget and your needs. That is why we have compiled a list of the top 7 walk behind string trimmers, so you are able to find the one that will work best for you.
Table of Content
- 1 5 Best-Rated Walk-Behind String Trimmers
- 2 What You Should Know About Walk Behind String Trimmers
- 3 Best Walk Behind String Trimmer Buyer’s Guide
5 Best-Rated Walk-Behind String Trimmers
What You Should Know About Walk Behind String Trimmers
Before starting your research there are a few things that you should know about walk behind string trimmers. This is a quick guide that will help you to determine what type of unit to buy and what options there are available to you.
Many of the walk behind weed eaters that you see on the market today have a four-stroke engine and are powered by gas alone instead of a gas and oil mixture. They are similar to a walk behind lawn mower, so one needs to operate a recoil starter that is usually activated when you pull the rope.
Wheeled string trimmers utilize a string system, like handheld week eater, that cuts down weeds and grass with ease. These high-powered trimmers usually have cutting swaths that reach up to around 22 inches. That is why it is essential for those with large lawns or large areas that are hard to reach with a regular push mower. It can cut down on the amount of time it takes and increase the overall efficiency. However, there are some differences you should note when looking for the perfect unit for your lawn.
A self-propelled walk behind string trimmer can be a great tool for thick brush that is hard to manage. By initiating this feature, the unit is able to provide you with some assistance when it comes to pushing through thick brush with ease. When you have a large job to tackle, this is an essential option that you will want to ensure your unit has.
Most units also do not come with engine oil and this needs to be added when the unit is unboxed. So, be sure to check your unit to see what type of oil it will need and purchase it with your unit, so you can be ready to transform your lawn into a pristine landscape.
1. Southland SWSTM4317 Wheeled String Trimmer
- Trimmer features 20 degree to 30 degree head swivel for fence and wall trimming
- Head bevel feature with 5 degree to 10 degree swivel
- 35 % more torque than a 25cc hand held unit
- Ergonomic loop handle with actuated throttle control
- Offers a trimmer head swivel that allows you to trim along a fence or wall
- Includes a 5 inch to 10 inch trimmer head that helps create precise edges around various objects
- Offers more torque than your average hand held string trimmer
- Includes an onboard storage area for the extra string, onboard trimmer guide for creating perfect length, and an ergonomic loop handle and thumb actuated throttle control
- Heavy duty wheels offer maneuverability for various terrains
- Optional: blower and edger attachment available for purchase separately
- May not be suitable for heavy duty jobs or frequent use
- Less powerful than other options, but works well for many jobs (see Southland SWFT15022 if looking for a heavier duty unit)
2. Southland SWFT15022 150cc Filed Trimmer
- 150cc engine
- Manual recoil with an easy start fuel system
- 12 inch wheels
- 22 inch cutting swath
- Heavy duty with 5.75 ft/lbs torque and 150 cc engine
- Easy start fuel system with manual recoil
- Quad .155 inch in diameter line trimmer head
- 12 inch wheels increase manageability
- Foam grip, anti-vibration handle offers more comfort and folds for compact storage
- Offers a cutting swath of 22 inches
- Several reviews discuss problems with the way the unit is shipped
- Some consumers feel that the unit is rather hard to pull to start
3. SuperHandy Walk Behind String Trimmer
- Professional walk behind trimmer with a 79 cc gas engine
- One piece deck design to minimise vibration
- 5 times more powerful than a hand held trimmer
- Powerful 2 stroke 79cc single cylinder gas engine
- Single piece seamless deck frame provides the versatility to reach under shrubs with precision and reduces vibration
- Ideal for outdoor landscaping for lawns and gardens, field brush, walkways, and high weeds and grass
- 21” cutting swath
- Heavy duty construction that is heat treated and powder coated
- Pricier option, because of the increased power
4. Earthquake 28463 Walk Behind String Mower
- 150 cc 4-cycle Viper Engine
- Mows, trims, and clears tall weeds and grass
- One-piece deck to reduce vibration
- Compact storage with tool-less handlebar adjustment
- Versatile unit that clears, trims, and mows tall grass, weeds, and light brush
- Adjustable handle bar for easy transportation and compact storage
- Seamless, one-piece deck to help reduce vibration
- Includes a high wheel design for uneven ground and tall weeds
- 5 year warranty
- Utilises a smart stop feature that stops the cutting head when the handle is released
- Includes a 150 cc Viper engine that is powerful enough for tall grass or weeds
- Some consumers found that it took several passes to cut very tall grass and weeds
- May find it difficult to replace the strings and some breakage at that attaching point
5. Cub Cadet String Trimmer Walk Behind
- 22 inch cutting swath
- 159 cc engine
- Adjustable height settings
- Offers a 159 cc OHV engine that is powerful and efficient
- Auto choke option allows for you to start the engine without priming it
- 22 inch cutting swath
- 5 adjustable height settings for versatility
- Unique design of the deck allows for easy trimming along posts and fence lines
- 14 inch wheels with ball bearings for a smoother ride
- 155 inch trimming line is heavy duty
- Easy setup with little to no assembly required (just unfold, add gas and oil)
- Comes with the needed motor oil
- 3 year limited warranty
- Some consumers complained that it was pretty difficult to start the machine, even with the two pull start
- Some complaints about the limited warranty
Best Walk Behind String Trimmer Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to purchasing the right walk behind string trimmer, it is vital to consider a few things. The purpose of this section is to help you determine what features you may need, in order to narrow down the search and find the perfect walk behind weed eater to meet your needs. Here are a few things to consider when making your final decision. Now that you have an idea of what there is out there to choose from, you can work towards finding the unit that works best for you and your needs.
Finding a unit that has a strong and sturdy design is important. However, you also have to be able to actually maneuver the unit. Some companies have worked to develop units that have a single deck, which can reduce the amount of vibration that you feel when using the unit. If you are covering a large area, you will want to consider purchasing a unit that minimizes the amount of vibrations that you feel. Over a long period of time, the vibration can make you arms sore, and this is something that can be avoided in the units design. Additionally, you should ensure that the handle has been designed ergonomically, so that it fits into your hand and you can keep better control over the unit. Units with ergonomic handles allow you to have a better grip and can make it more comfortable to operate.
Consider some of the design options that are available to you, so that you can choose a unit that has considered usability in its design. String trimmer manufactures work to design units that have a higher level of versatility. They want you to be able to easily use, store, and transport the unit.
If you are looking to plow down some thick weeds and super tall grass, you want to get a self propelled walk behind string trimmer that has an engine with a lot of torque. That is because you will want the unit to propel itself, so that you do not have to push hard to get it through the brush, weeds, or grass. A high powered engine will have the right torque to allow the strings to easily cut through even the densest weeds and brush.
It may also be important to consider how frequently you will need to use the trimmer, because if you have a lot of weeds, brush, and tall grass to trim and you don’t have a powerful unit, you will decrease the useful life of your product. If you are looking for a unit that is going to last, you want to get one that is powerful enough to handle frequent use and thick greenage. It will save you money in the long run if you purchase a unit that has a high torque engine, so you do not burn out one with a lower torque engine. However, if you do not have a lot of tall grass, weeds, and brush to cut through, a smaller engine may work fine for you.
When it comes to handling various types of terrain, you want to consider the unit’s versatility as well. You should look for a unit that offers adjustable cutting heights, so that you can handle whatever Mother Nature throws at you. When you have the option of raising the height of the unit, you can set it to a higher setting at first and then adjust it down to get the cut you are looking for.
Finding a unit with a swivel head is also a great way to increase the versatility of your machine. You will be able to quickly get around those fence posts, garden boxes, and other lawn menaces. If you need to be able to get into places that are rather compact, then a swivel head is important.
When it comes to getting that perfect lawn look, you need a machine that is versatile. The hand held string trimmers are convenient because they can reach places the lawn mower cannot. However, they can be cumbersome and using them on large areas can be tiresome. A walk behind unit offers you the option of getting a uniform cut, while also allowing you to easily trim around posts and other obstacles that may be in your yard.
If you are getting a weed eater on wheels, you want to be able to still get the same maneuverability as a hand held unit. Usually, you need something to cut down weeds, grass, and brush that cannot be handled with a regular lawn mower. Therefore, if you are unable to reach those spots you missed with your traditional mower, it is not going to really work for you.
Ease of Setup and Use
The last thing you want to do is struggle to figure out how to get your unit assembled. Some units are extremely easy to assemble and only require you to pull up the handle, and add oil and gas. These units can be easily assembled and do not require a lot to get working. However, getting the machine started is another problem. You want to make sure that you have the ability to rip that cord fast enough and strong enough to ensure that you can get it started. You would not want to have to ask someone to help you each time.
If you have rough terrain that you are looking to clear, you may want to choose a high wheel trimmer, because they are designed for uneven terrain and tall weeds and grass. The high wheel design allows the blades to float over the grass, so that it does not provide an uneven cut.
There are special attachments that you can purchase with your unit that will allow you to do more. Some times these additional parts cost extra, but you may want to consider a product with these types of attachments, so that your unit can do more. It may be beneficial to see if there are any attachments that you can purchase for your unit that can enhance its value and do more for you.
After careful consideration of the many types of walk behind string trimmers on the market today, we have provided you with the top ten options. We know how hard it can be to find exactly what you are looking for. That is why we have narrowed down your search to the best options on the market.