At some point, you will need to dig holes around your property. Whether it is for planting some trees, constructing a deck, setting up a mailbox, or installing a fence around your home- the success of the task is tied to the equipment used. Most people think that a shovel is enough to handle the job. The problem is that you might encounter rocky soil especially if you need deeper holes. This is exactly why you need a tool that can be up to the task- a post hole digger.
Table of Content
- 1 Types of Post Hole Diggers
- 2 Top 7 Editor’s Choice
- 3 7 Best-Selling Post Hole Digger for Rocky Soil
- 4 Best Post Hole Digger for Rocky Soil Guide
- 5 Conclusion
Types of Post Hole Diggers
A post hole digger is an essential tool for any property owner. You should, however, note that there are different types of post hole diggers. The three most common types of post hole diggers are;
Manual diggers: These diggers require muscles and are suitable for light to medium tasks. They are a pair of curved blades that you push down the soil then pull the handles outward before lifting to create holes on the ground.
Gas hole diggers: They are more suited to rocky soils or if you need large round holes. They are the best for digging in rocky soil.
Electric hole diggers: Electric post hole diggers work just like the gas ones, just without the gas fumes and the noise. They are ideal if you are near a power source and offer a variety of blade widths.
Top 7 Editor’s Choice
There are several tools for digging in rocky soil available in the market. Some are top quality while others are nothing but low-quality products. That is why we created this list and guide for the best post hole digger for rocky soil to help you when shopping for one.
7 Best-Selling Post Hole Digger for Rocky Soil
BSTOOL Earth Auger Hole Digger
The BSTOOL gas-powered post hole digger is your ideal tool if you are looking for a unit that is easy to use and accurate. It is also quite economical. This post hole auger is suitable for a number of tasks including drilling holes for fence posts. Equipped with 4, 6 and 8-inch auger drill bit for soil, you will find the tool quite useful for digging holes of various diameters. The BSTOOL hole digger can be operated by one or two persons.
- The tool offers a high level of accuracy and is easy to use. You will get to enjoy quality professional-level work.
- It has a straight-through design which is very robust and reduces the chances of shearing gears.
- You can drill holes of various diameters as the hole digger comes drill bits of different sizes.
- The tool might emit an unpleasant smell as it is gasoline-powered.
- You will need proper safety gear and storage options as gasoline is highly flammable.
Pumplus Post Hole Digger
The Pumplus post hole digger is what you go for if you are looking for power in your post hole auger. It is easy to use, fast, and lightweight. To ensure safety while in use, the drill bit comes with start switch controls which ensure you are in control of the power and speed of the tool. One thing you will love about this hole digger is that it comes with detachable handles which makes transportation and storage easier.
- Offering 1.8 kilowatts of power, the Pumplus hole digger is powerful, fast, and efficient.
- Its detachable handles make it easier to transport and store. It is also lightweight.
- The Pumplus post hole digger has controls that enable you to control the power output and speed while working.
- The fuel tank is translucent and enables you to gauge the fuel levels.
- It comes with an extension cord for versatility.
- You might experience problems starting the machine next time especially if you shut it down while at high speed.
- Some customers have complained of the bolts for the handles falling off.
Southland SEA438 One Man Earth Auger
If you are looking for something heavy-duty and robust, then the Southland SEA428 post hole digger should be one of your top choices. You are guaranteed value for your money with this tool.
The Southland SEA438 post hole digger comes with an 8-inch auger for digging holes. You can dig up to a depth of 2.5 feet. You will have to separately purchase the 6-inch post hole auger if you need it.
- It is an environment-friendly tool that is compliant with CARB requirements and EPA- approved.
- The ergonomic handles offer comfort, balance, and control while operating the tool.
- It is heavy-duty and sturdy for prolonged use. It is best suited for digging in rocky soil.
- Southland SEA438 post hole digger has a translucent fuel tank that enables you to know the fuel level.
- It also has detachable hands for ease of transportation and storage.
- You might find it difficult to use on dense soil.
- It might be expensive to purchase the 6-inch post hole auger separately.
XtremepowerUS 81094 2365 Posthole Digger
Digging holes can be hard and messy without the right tools. But the XtremepowerUS 81094 2365 Posthole Digger is one of those tools that make the job exciting. It is a one-man auger post hole digger that comes with a button for adjusting speeds so that you can work at your comfort. The handles will give you the perfect grip you need when drilling a hole. You will, however, have to do the assembling yourself.
- The speed control button makes it easier to work at your own pace comfortably.
- Its ergonomic handles offer the perfect grip while working.
- There is a power button on the handle for the safe operation of the tool. It is quite easy to start and turn off.
- It is made from lightweight yet durable material.
- You will need to give it time to warm up before it can drill holes effectively.
- You have to assemble the tool yourself. But it comes with a user manual to make assembling easier.
Landworks Earth Auger
When it comes to offering power and torque performance ratio exactly where you need it, the Landworks Earth Auger is in a league of its own. With this tool, you will enjoy a rotating power of 7000RPMs and a power output of 235RPMs. This post hole digger is battery-powered so you won’t have to worry about inhaling gas fumes. Made from steel that is carbon-coated, the Landworks post hole digger offers durability and resistance to rust.
- It comes with replaceable alloy steel blades for optimal performance.
- The tool is made from materials that are rust-resistant and durable.
- It makes hole digging smooth and efficient. It is also lightweight and easy to handle.
- It is safe to use and eco-friendly as it is battery-powered. An overload protector prevents it from overheating during use.
- You might find it complicated if you are just looking for a simple auger for digging holes.
- It can be overpowering if you don’t have muscles.
XtremepowerUS 1200W Post Hole Digger
This another effective, comfortable, and durable post hole digger from XtremepowerUS. If you are working with challenging soil conditions, then you should consider getting this digger. It is another best post hole digger for rocky soil. Made from sturdy manganese steel, the 1200W Post Hole Digger from XtremepowerUS can withstand extrusion, impact, and wear and tear. It is also coated with black paint to prevent rust and corrosion. If you are looking for an auger for rocky soil, then this is one of your best options.
- It is a high-quality tool that offers power, comfort, and durability. It can withstand extrusion, impact, and wear and tear.
- The tool can dig up to 3 feet of soil with maximum efficiency.
- The handles are not only ergonomic but also have a vibration-proof anti-skid grip.
- It is a lightweight tool that is quite easy to operate.
- The tool tends to wobble when being operated at high speeds.
- The clutch may slip over obstacles during drilling.
XtremepowerUS 3HP Post Hole Digger
If your work has stalled because you couldn’t find a suitable post hole digger and the first two machines from XtremepowerUS don’t work for you, then the company has another offering that you can turn to. The 3HP Post Hole Digger fitted with a 63CC 2-Stroke Motor will make light work of your digging needs. Its high rotation speed will see that you can complete the job in minimal time while an air cooler prevents it from overheating. You should get this tool if you need to dig massive holes for installing a fence or any other purpose.
- It is suitable for big jobs that require massive holes.
- It has a high rotation speed that reduces the amount of time you spend on a job. It also has an air cooler to minimize overheating.
- The hole digger is equipped with a 4-inch auger drill bit for soil. This offers convenience and uniform hole size.
- The transparent oil tank allows you to monitor your oil levels as you work.
- The tool is made from high-quality materials.
- It might be too powerful and needs to be operated by two people.
- Some customers complained that the instructions in the user manual were misleading at certain points.
Best Post Hole Digger for Rocky Soil Guide
If you are a DIY enthusiast who’s into gardening, then you absolutely need an auger for digging holes around the home. The list above is not exhaustive of all the best post hole diggers for rocky soil you can find in the market. Different soil conditions also determine the type of post hole auger you will need for the job. This guide will go through the factors you need to consider when shopping for a post hole digger so you can get the best deal.
- The type of job to be done
This is the most important consideration you should have when shopping for a post hole digger. If it is light or medium-duty work such as planting a small bush, fixing a light fence, or setting up a mailbox, then there’s no need to invest in a very powerful hole post digger. However, heavy-duty and large scale projects such as installing a fence around your property and building a deck will need powerful post hole augers. If you are going to be using an auger in rocky soil, then you should get one that is up to the task.
- Engine power
The engine power will determine how fast and efficiently you can drill your holes. Most gas- powered post hole diggers have 2.5hp engines while electric ones offer 1200W of power output.
However, you find more powerful diggers if you have heavier projects. If you are looking to do basic work, then manually-operated post hole diggers would be a better option.
- The drill bit and its diameter
High-quality drill bits will add strength to your digging and make your work easier. Some diggers also come with a variety of drill bits for versatility when working on your project.
The diameter of the drill bit determines the size of your hole so if you are looking for larger holes then it is advisable to go for drill bits with bigger diameters.
- Depth capacity
Some post hole augers can only go up to 3 feet deep. Others can go up to 5 feet or even more. It is important to enquire about the depth capacity of a post hole digger before making a purchase.
- Weight and ease of handling
Most post hole augers are lightweight and therefore won’t be much of a problem operating or moving around with. But you will need to pay attention to the handles especially if you are going for the more powerful post hole diggers. They tend to have vibrations and without sturdy and ergonomic handles, your work can be a little difficult.
There are lots of options when shopping for the best post hole digger for rocky soil. However, you should make sure you find the right one for the kind of job you are looking to do. It should make your work easier so you don’t feel fatigued at the end of your project.