Whether you are a professional crop farmer or just doing subsistence farming, you will need to adequately prepare the soil. It is an essential step to a good farm yield as it enables the seeds to grow to their full potential. There are many ways in which you can prepare the soil, but the popular means of getting it done efficiently is through using UTV/ATV disc harrows.
Table of Content
- 1 Top 7 Editor’s Choice
- 2 7 Best-Selling Disc Harrows for ATV/UTV
- 3 Disc Harrows for ATV Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Conclusion
Top 7 Editor’s Choice
The problem is that there are so many disc harrows available in the market. It can be confusing and difficult to know which one to go for. We have compiled a list of the best ATV disc harrows to help you narrow down your choices and make shopping for one much easier. Here are the top 7 disc harrows you can find;
7 Best-Selling Disc Harrows for ATV/UTV
Black Boar Disc Harrow
If you are looking for a heavy-duty ATV disc harrow that can break even the toughest of soils, then the Black Boar disc harrow should be one of your top picks. It is ideal especially if you are working on a large farm. The disc harrows are very versatile and can be adjusted to 0, 15, 30-degree angles on either the front or rear for different results. This gives you full control of the tool and you can make the adjustments as the work requires.
While you can operate the disc harrow using a 66000 motorized lift, it can also be manually operated using a 66013 lift. In addition to that, it comes with a 16” by 20” weight platform that can hold up to 150 kgs of weight. The harrow comes with 8 powder-coated discs.
- The disc harrow has a minimalist design and is made from sturdy steel.
- It offers a diverse range of motion from three different angles.
- It is lightweight and quite easy to install.
- The Black Boar disc harrow offers a high level of efficiency, especially when prepping large pieces of land for cultivation.
- The motorized lift makes it easy to move around.
- On some ATVs, you will require a specific rear rail to mount the disc harrow.
- It tends to rattle when used on bumpy trails.
- You will find it difficult to use on wet conditions as the bearings and spacers that connect the discs aren’t waterproof.
- Roots and grass may cause it to clog.
Agri-Fab Sleeve Hitch Disc Cultivator
The Agri-Fab is another ATV disc plow that offers versatility to farmers. It has an ergonomic design that guarantees high efficiency, functionality, and fastness but in an economical manner. It is lightweight, durable, and sturdy. The 8 11-inch discs can each be adjusted to your preferences when working on a farm. The flexibility allows you to avoid straining your ATV.
One of the biggest downsides to this disc harrow is that you will have to purchase the sleeve hitch separately. It cannot work without one. You will have to get in touch with your ATV manufacturer for a sleeve hitch.
- It is smooth, practical, and very efficient.
- You can easily set it up for operation.
- The disc harrow can also be used on soil that is loosely packed.
- It is a lightweight and durable tool.
- You won’t have to worry about it rattling or vibrating when working on bumpy grounds.
- The disc harrow can easily get stuck on wetlands.
- It offers very limited compatibility.
- You will need at least 200 pounds for the discs to efficiently tear up the ground.
- While it doesn’t rattle or vibrate on bumpy terrains, it has a tendency of wobbling.
- You have to purchase the sleeve hitch separately.
39” Field Tuff Sleeve Hitch Disc
In case you are just working on a small garden and don’t require heavy machinery to prep the ground, then the Field Tuff ATV-DH Disc Harrow is your ideal choice. This type of disc harrow is ideal if you are working on a piece of land that is half an acre or less. The tool offers a working width that can be adjusted up to 39 inches. It is made from high-end, quality steel that guarantees durability. One of its biggest advantages is that you can use this disc harrow on any type of UTV and ATV.
The heavy-duty steel frame supports extra weight when you are working on tougher grounds. The harrow comes with 8 discs that measure 11 inches in diameter. You can replace the discs whenever necessary. The harrow can be adjusted to three angles- 10, 15, or 20 degrees.
- It is an ideal tool for small gardens and farms, vineyards, lawn preparation, row preparation, and wildlife food plots.
- You can manually control the disc blade height which gives you the power to decide the cutting depth.
- It is lightweight and compact for easy transportation and storage. It is also quite sturdy.
- You can easily replace the blades.
- The 2 by 2 high-quality steel gives the tool a long life.
- The disc harrow might bounce during use when it has minimal weight.
- Its use is only limited to small pieces of land. On larger farms, it can be time-consuming and less efficient.
Groundhog Max Disc Plow
This ATV disc plow offers very smooth operations and is very easy to control. It is compact, lightweight, and very durable. The package comes already pre-assembled so you won’t have to worry about assembling the harrow. Attaching the Groundhog Max disc plow to your ATV or UTV makes your work easier because it will plunge into the floor and efficiently cut out the soil. It is not only ideal for prepping the soil but also tilling the garden, grooming dirt, and putting food into wildlife plots.
The six discs offer a wide 21-inch cutting width and can be adjusted through the height control system up to a height of 1 inch. You can plow an acre of land in around four hours using this ATV disc harrow. The disc plow comes with a 1-inch receiver kit which makes it easier to mount under the ATV.
- It is pre-assembled and all you have to do is install it on your ATV.
- The disc plow has adaptors that enable it to work on different types of ATVs.
- It offers a high level of efficiency. You can plow an acre of land in around 4 hours.
- The plow has an aggressive cut even without extra weight.
- It is compact and won’t take up much storage space.
- Its lightweight design makes it wobbly.
- The hitching system is of substandard quality.
Brinly Tow-Behind Disc Harrow
This is another great option if you are looking for the best ATV disc harrow. It has smooth but sharp 8 11-inch discs that are made from heavy-duty steel. Just like the Agri-Fab disc cultivator, you will have to separately purchase a sleeve hitch for the Brinly pull behind disc harrow. With this tool, you will get adjustable working widths of between 29 and 39 inches depending on your garden size. There are also three options for angle adjustment- 10, 15, and 20 degrees.
One of the best features of this ATV disc harrow is that it allows you the freedom to establish the perfect force when breaking huge chunks of clay and soil by adjusting the disc angle. Adding extra weight to the steel tray in tougher terrains makes the disking even more aggressive. You can add another disc unit for increased efficiency.
- The Brinly pull behind disc harrow comes integrated with a weight tray in case you need supplementary weight for more aggressive disking.
- There are multiple disc blade angles for different amounts of force when working.
- The cutting edge widths are adjustable.
- The discs are made from heavy-duty steel for durability.
- You will have to make a separate purchase for the sleeve hitch.
- In most cases, you will need the supplementary weight for any productivity to be realized.
Titan Distributors Inc. Category 1 3 Point Notched Disc Harrow Plow
The Titan Distributors Category 1 3 Point disc harrow enables you to easily till, turn the soil, break up crusted grounds, and control weed in your farm. It is equipped with 16-inch discs that are notched and perfect if you want to break up ground or clear unwanted debris and weeds. This disc harrow has four axles with each axle holding 4 notched discs separated by a 7.5-inch space. They are powder-coated to reduce rusting and corrosion. You can easily grease the sealed cast iron spools and caps for smooth rotation of the harrow discs. If you work on your farm during the wet seasons, then this is one of the best ATV disc harrows you should consider buying. It not only works through heavy soil but also wet grounds without much gumming up.
- The harrow disc is made from strong heavy-duty steel and is powder-coated to prevent corrosion and rusting.
- The notched discs make it perfect for working on wet and heavy soil without much gumming up.
- The sealed cast iron spools and caps can be easily greased for the discs to operate smoothly.
- It offers a 72-inch working width.
- It is quite wide and is only suitable for large spaces. It can be difficult to use it in small gardens.
MotoAlliance Impact Implements Pro Disc Plow
If you are looking for a resourceful multi-functional tool for gardening, soil preparation, then this is another top pick you can go for. The biggest advantage of the MotoAlliance Impact Implements Pro Disc Plow is that you can not only use it on an ATV or UTV but also a garden tractor, lawn tractor, and an SxS. The disc harrow comes with 8 12-inch notched steel cutter discs for a cutting width of 54 inches. The integrated weight tray helps to increase pressure in case you need better soil penetration.
- The tool is designed to allow enhanced soil penetration.
- You can use the disc harrow on any automobile including lawn and garden tractors.
- It is quite easy to install and operate.
- It offers versatile installation options. You can use a sleeve hitch adaptor, CAT-O 3-Point hitch, or a Pro 1-Point lift system to attach it to your ATV.
- You will have to purchase the hitch adaptors separately.
- It is quite heavy and you will need the wheels to turn it.
Disc Harrows for ATV Buyer’s Guide
There are certain factors you should consider before buying a disc harrow for your ATV or UTV. This will enable you to buy the best quality disc harrow for your needs and get value for your money. Here are some factors to consider when shopping for a disc harrow;
- The size of the farm you will use it on
The size of your farm will determine the type of disc harrow to buy. The most common types of disc harrows include;
- Single action disc harrows
- Double action disc harrows
- Offset disc harrows
The disc arrangement in the different types of disc harrows determines how much ground you can cover and the ease of maneuverability.
- The disc style and angling
If you are going to work on tough soil, then the disc style and angling will be very important. The discs can either be smooth or notched. Notched discs are more suited to tough soils. The angling of the disc also determines how easy you will it to break the soil.
- Inclusion of an integrated weight platform
Extra weight helps to put more pressure on the discs and go deeper into the soil. If that’s what you are looking for, then you should go for a disc harrow with an integrated weight platform or a tray above the disc blades.
- Height adjustments
You should always go for disc harrows with adjustable heights so that you can have the flexibility to go for either deeper or shallow soil penetration. This is usually referred to as the working depth.
The ideal disc harrow should be able to help you prepare your soil without much of a toll on the engine power of your ATV. This is why it’s important to get the right disc for ATV. Shopping for one can be pretty daunting especially if you are a first-time buyer. This list and guide will help you to know what to look for and narrow down your options. Proper research and consideration and paying attention to the details will help make your shopping experience less hectic.